10 TIPS TO DE-STRESS, UNWIND & LET GO
Kiana Ng Yoga
The main cause of stress is from constantly thinking about our long to-do list. So to minimize your stress, you need something that will take your mind off of that! Here are a few ideas…
- Exercise. Any form of exercising takes you into your body and out of your mind. Along with that, exercising can leave you feeling more energetic, helping you combat stressful situations.
- Meditate. Meditation is a great tool to help take your mind off things for a while since it’s so focused on quieting the mind and moving you into the present moment. It takes you out of that constant fight-or-flight response and into a natural state of relaxation.
- Take A Break. Give yourself that much-needed vacation! Everyone deserves a break from their daily life. By taking a break, you can recharge your energy and refuel yourself to take on stressful situations.
- Eat Mindfully. Take a quick healthy snack break to a place away from your work. Lack of nourishment can also contribute to stress. Allow yourself to eat mindfully, slowly and consciously. By doing this, you’re turning your food into an object of meditation!
- Listen To Music. Put on your favourite tunes and let your brain be filled with dopamine! Maybe add in a little dancing to release some of that built up stress and tension.
- Practice Gratitude. By putting in a daily practice of gratitude, you can help yourself cope with stress by expanding your happiness and improving your health and emotional wellbeing.
- Take A Walk In Nature. Nature has many calming and grounding effects which help combat stress. All of the energy created from your thoughts in your mind is brought down to the earth with the help of connecting to nature and its roots.
- Breathe. Give yourself 2 minutes of just breathing. Focusing on deep inhalations and exhalations. Maybe even try counting your breaths to the count of 8. By focusing on your breath, your mind begins to still.
- Stretch. Do a quick, 5-15 minute stretching routine. Stretching helps relieve tension and stress from the muscles by loosening and opening them up. Not sure what to do? There are many short yoga classes or routines online that are designed for stretching on your break at work!
- Laugh. Nothing is better than giving yourself a nice laugh! Share lunch with someone who makes you laugh, go online and watch a few funny videos, or anything that will bring a smile to your face!