6 Ideas for Self Discovery
Kiana Ng Yoga
Realizing the importance of yoga and self discovery is essential to bring more joy, love, and peace not only to the world, but to yourself as well. Because living yoga on and off your mat is so essential, and is an ongoing practice many of us need to work on, I’ve created 6 ideas for self discovery to help get you started…
In the West, the focus of yoga is mainly on the physical practice. But the truth of yoga is a practice of turning inwards and developing practices of self discovery, both on and off the mat. Bringing the practice of yoga and self discovery off your mat is so important, especially in today’s world where there’s so much fear and anger carried around. Sure, hitting your mat every day for an hour is a great way to give yourself that much needed alone time, to get out of your head and into your body, but what happens as soon as you step off the mat? What happens when you go about living your day to day life? Do you practice or remember any of the tools you learnt while on your mat?
Living and honouring the inner practices yoga brings to you off of your mat is what matters. This is what will benefit the quality of your life, inside & out. This is what will spread loving kindness out into the world and create change. I’m a true believer in that the work we put in healing and improving ourselves directly correlates to the quality of our external life circumstances because what you give is what you get.
If you’re thinking, “But I don’t know how to inquire within. I don’t know where to start. I would love to do all of these things and live a better life, but I just don’t know how. I understand the importance of yoga and self discovery, on and off your mat, but I need some guidance!” If this resonates with you, then keep reading. I’ve got you.
Self discovery is a process for everyone. It can be challenging and it requires a constant self awareness check to build new habits and strengthen our mental muscles. Practicing yoga and meditation are great tools to really give you the space to self inquire and ask soul-level questions that help you discover new layers of yourself. The great thing about self discovery is that the topics of self inquiry are endless! And each topic has a different magnitude for everyone. If you want some ideas to start with, keep reading…
Self Discovery Ideas To Ponder
- Self-Love – What parts of yourself do you love? What parts of yourself are you grateful and appreciative for? What parts of yourself are incredibly different and unique? What parts of yourself don’t you love? Why don’t you love them? What have you been taught about these unloved parts of yourself that makes you feel like they’re not acceptable? What needs to be healed here so that you can you learn to love them?
- Practice Presence – Breathe in for the count of 8, break out for the count of 8. Count the numbers in your mind to focus on them. Notice any thoughts that come through & let them go. What are your recurring thoughts?
- Loving Kindness – Visualize all of the people you are grateful for that are or have been a part of your life. Honour the lessons they’ve taught you, and send them love. Can you do this with your enemies?
- Forgive – What have you not forgiven yourself for yet? What do you need to forgive someone else for? Use the manta, “I forgive myself,” or, “I forgive you for…” to aid in your inquiry of forgiveness.
- Self Identity – Inhale: Who am I? Exhale: I am… Fill in the blank. Begin to realize that you just are and everything that is you is perfect.
- Let Go – What do you need to let go of so that you can move forwards?
These are great places to start. Remember, inquire not only how these topics relate to you in that moment, but discover how you can bring these practices, and the tools you’ve learnt, into your daily life. A great example for #3 is telling more people you love them. Or how about #4? Maybe it’s time to make amends.
Living consciously is a practice, and practice brings progress. To help you stay with it, read below for how you can start practicing self discovery right now!
THIS WEEK: Choose 1 topic of inquiry. Set aside 5+ minutes everyday to sit with it. Honour it everywhere you can, on & off your mat.
Drop it in the comments! What’s your topic of inquiry this week?